Hello friends! I’m excited to be sharing with you one of my all time favorite side dishes! I love to whip this up a couple times a month with dinner at home, or for special occasions and Holidays! It is a fan favorite, and best of all its super easy and healthy! Which is a win, win! Nothing compares to these crispy oven roasted Brussel sprouts, drizzled in a sweet and tangy balsamic glaze. I promise, you will not be disappointed when you try these!
First, I prep my veggies. I chop my brussels by cutting the bottoms off and slicing them in half.
I then add bite sized butternut squash! I like to purchase the kind that have already been chopped to save me some work. (This mama doesn’t have much time with a baby and a full time job). You can also substitute the squash for sweet potato. I love the naturally sweet flavor and bright orange color this gives to the dish! The flavor of the squash pairs so well with the bitterness of the brussels!
Before I throw these in the oven, I like to sprinkle a couple small pieces of already cooked bacon! This step is totally optional if you would rather keep it vegetarian or vegan. I like using the already cooked bacon from the grocery store because again, I need quick. But I also like how much this bacon crisp up compared to raw bacon! I then drizzle a light amount of olive oil over everything, and season with salt and pepper.
In the oven these go for about 20 minutes on 450. While these are cooking, I start the balsamic Glaze. Anyone who knows me, knows I love vinegar. I’m not kidding when I say I could eat it on anything, so naturally this is my favorite step that you definitely don’t want to skip!
The balsamic glaze is made from 2 simple ingredients! Balsamic Vinegar and Brown Sugar. You can actually make extra if you like to use it in other dishes by storing it in the fridge. Boiling these two ingredients together for about 20 minutes creates a thick, sweet glaze that should coat the back of your spoon.
Once the Brussels have cooked 20 minutes, I turn the broiler on and cook for another 5-10 minutes. I am looking for the leaves of my brussel sprouts to turn dark brown. That lets me know they are crispy! Once I take them out of the oven, I immediately drizzle the glaze over the brussels, toss them and serve!
Do these not look absolutely mouth watering? I think I could be happy eating a serving of these everyday! Below you will find the recipe list, as well as the cooking instructions. Be sure to leave a comment letting me know if you plan on trying these or how they turned out if you did try them!
- 2 bags of brussel sprouts (about 20 brussels)
- 1 container of butternut squash or half of a butternut squash
- microwaveable bacon
- 2tbs olive oil
- pinch of salt
- pinch of pepper
- 3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 4 tbs brown sugar
- Cut the ends off of the brussel sprouts and slice them in half
- chop the butternut squash into bite sized pieces
- lay everything together on a pan lined with foil
- cut bacon into chunky “bacon bites” sized pieces
- drizzle with the olive oil
- season with salt and pepper and toss everything together ( I use my hands)
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes on 450/ then Broil for an additional 5-10 minutes
- On the stove top, pour vinegar into a small pot. Add in the brown sugar. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 25 minutes or until thickens. (it will thicken more when taken off the heat)
- Pour desired amount of vinegar over the brussels immediately after removing them from the oven! (or serve it on the side if you would rather dip them)
I hope you find as much joy in these as I do! Thanks for stopping by!